SearXNG offers ad-free Google results, which are fresh, not cached results (like the ones found in StartPage). In addition, you can add Bing and Mojeek results into the mix. Overall, this makes the search results very relevant and diverse.
SearXNG development started in the middle of 2021 as a fork of the SearX project (GitHub page). Users are neither tracked nor profiled. Additionally, SearXNG can be used over Tor for online anonymity.
SearXNG has a better user interface, comes with light and dark versions, and works well on mobile browsers. An administrator can block and/or replace the URLs in the search results. Overall SearXNG is simple to maintain as an instance administrator.
You can search with SearXNG by using an instance listed at searx.space. Currently, these are working instances:
- https://searx.slipfox.xyz/searx 129ms
- https://xo.wtf 184ms
- https://search.privacyguides.net 186ms
- https://swag.pw 194ms
- https://searx.org (official) cloudflare 471ms
Regarding privacy, be advised that unknown organizations and individuals run these interfaces.
How does SearXNG protect privacy?
SearXNG protects the privacy of its users in both private and public instances. Removal of private data from search requests comes in three forms:
- Removes private data from requests before they are sent to search services
- Nothing is forwarded to a third party through search services (e.g. ads)
- Removes private data from search requests when they are transferred to the result pages
SearXNG is released under the AGPL-3.0 license.