Using Plex with a seedbox is a convenient way to stream your media downloads.
Today, there are many seedbox providers — mostly run by individuals or small companies.
Best Seedbox With Plex
These are my recommended seedbox providers with Plex:
- RapidSeedbox (Netherlands and Frace) — supports 4K plex (they have an article about it). This is a fast provider with a 10Gpbs network. Plex can be configured using a “one-click” install. Note that Plex is not available on the “Fast plan”. 14-day refund policy. €15 euro ($15 USD) month-to-month, accepts crypto. More details.
- DediSeedbox (Netherlands) — full Plex server access, eight CPU cores to each Plex instance — allows the transcoding of two 1080p videos simultaneously — known for good customer service — root access to your own VPS. €15 euro ($15 USD) month-to-month (Paypal or credit)
These are other seedbox providers with Plex:
- SeedHost.eu — allows public trackers, Plex, and apps for automation. 3.9TB – 1gbps – 8TB bandwidth – €12
- Hostingby.Design (formerly seedbox.io) — another well-known seedbox provider that allows public trackers, Plex, and apps for automation — 2TB – 10gbps – 10TB bandwidth – €15
- Swizzin.net — supports Plex and even has GPU transcoding support at no additional charge. 4-6 users per disk. Plex/FTP upload is not counted toward the bandwidth limit. 2TB – 20gbps – 8TB bandwidth – $16
- Whatbox — Offers a fast Plex server, which is separate from the server that is doing the downloading. It has automation apps but only allows a handful of one-click install apps. Whatbox has a good wiki on installing most apps through SSH.
- Ultra.cc — download unmetered, supports plex and automation tools. Public torrents are supported but only allowed to upload to a ratio of 2. 4TB – 20gbps – 8TB bandwidth – €15
What is a Seedbox?
A seedbox is a dedicated, high-speed server for downloading and uploading files. Most people rent seedboxes to achieve very fast torrent or Usenet transfers. Typically, you will see speeds from 100Mbps (8 MB/s) to 10Gbps (1250 MB/s) on a seedbox. However, if you are in North America using a Seedbox in Europe, you can expect to get a maximum of 24 MB/s on a single connection. Opening multiple connections can help.
A seedbox also allows you to avoid ISP throttling and bypass eavesdroppers like the RIAA or MPAA.
Using Plex On A Seedbox
Generally, seedboxes are set up so you can install Plex, Usenet, and torrent applications quite easily.
Once the files are downloaded to the seedbox, they can be downloaded to your computer via HTTP, FTP, SFTP, or rsync protocols. You can also directly stream the media from the seedbox using Plex.
Plex is a free app that lets you stream your media collection to every device you own. Plex will convert and stream video files and music files. It creates optimized versions for mobile devices.
Also available is the PlexPass service, which allows you to download your content for offline viewing. The cost is $5 per month.
Links: Plex Home Page