- If you are interested in a reasonable level of email privacy — email that is securely stored and not scanned — consider FastMail
- If you want end-to-end email encryption — I recommend ProtonMail
Details on Private Email
Almost all of us would prefer our emails to remain private, or at least not routinely scanned by large corporations and government entities. There are email companies (listed below) that provide a service where your email will remain fairly secure and not scanned.
Note, however, that regular email is an inherently insecure medium. This is because email is always sent to someone else — thus releasing them into unknown hands. For example, if you send an email to someone who uses Gmail, your email will scanned by Google and the NSA.
FastMail: Reliable Private Email
If you want a reliable, independent email service that doesn’t scan your messages like Gmail or Hotmail, I recommend using a provider like FastMail.
- we use encrypted SMTP for sending your mail when the receiving server supports it
- we mandate encrypted access for webmail, IMAP and POP
- we use Perfect Forward Secrecy where possible for all encrypted connections
- we encrypt all email while at rest on our servers
- we encrypt communications between our data centers
After testing this service for years, I found this company to be a reliable provider. FastMail has well-designed apps for iOS and Android.
Encrypted Email Providers
If you want more security and anonymity you can opt for an encrypted email provider. These providers offer “end-to-end” email encryption, and the ability to send encrypted email to those who use regular email.
ProtonMail is a reliable encrypted email provider based in Switzerland. Prices start at 48 euros per year (about $56 USD)
Here are similar services that provide end-to-end encrypted email: