Note: Blocklists Barely Work
Block list for torrents are actually quite difficult to find. Luckily, John Tyree, a user from quora.com, created a GitHub project which combines all those iBlocklist lists in to a single one and he hosted the result here:
A blocklist is simply a list of IP addresses to block when torrenting. Typically, these lists consist of the IP addresses of known snoopers or malware providers.
I-Blocklist has a good selection of blocklists, but many are now “subscriber-only” ($10 / year).
Adding multiple blocklists to Transmission is tricky, here’s how to do it:
- Copy the URL lof blocklist
- Open transmission -> preferences -> peers
- Paste the url into the URL bar and click “update” (download should be visible)
- On mac finder bar (no program selected) click on “go” -> “go to folder”
- Enter ” ~/Library/Application Support/Transmission
- Select the blocklist folder *(notice that there is only one “blocklist.bin” folder? That is the blocklist of the current URL that you pasted into Transmission. Transmission will always make this file the generic URL updated .bin file) You don’t want that unless you plan on just having one blocklist.
- Click and drag the blocklist out of the folder and onto your desktop! Rename it “(any name) blocklist.bin”
- Rinse and repeat for the other blocklist URLs you wish to use from the site. (i used 6) And also, whenever you finish with however many URLs you use, close Transmission before going to step 9.
- After you have done this for your desired blocklists (making sure each has a different name before the affix “-blocklist.bin”, then go back to the blocklist folder (step 4 & 5)
- Click and drag each renamed ” -blocklist.bin” file (on ur desktop) back into the folder.
- Open up transmission, select “window” -> “message log” (click on the bottom left of that window and select “info” instead of “error” or “debug” and look at the status of your peer block list. It should say on the right-hand side: peer blacklist “level 1blocklist.bin” has 213046 inquiries (ip addresses) and so on so forth- for the other blocklists you may have added