Invidious is an alternative front-end to YouTube. It exists both as a website (Invidio.us) and as downloadable open source software. The website is sometimes not available — or example it currently seems to be down!
The Invidious software allows you view YouTube video with advertising, and with no Google tracking.
Here is a full feature list:
- No ads
- No need to create a Google account to save subscriptions
- Audio-only mode (and no need to keep window open on mobile)
- Lightweight (homepage is ~4 KB compressed)
- Tools for managing subscriptions:
- Only show unseen videos
- Only show latest (or latest unseen) video from each channel
- Delivers notifications from all subscribed channels
- Automatically redirect homepage to feed
- Import subscriptions from YouTube
- Dark mode
- Embed support
- Set default player options (speed, quality, autoplay, loop)
- Does not require JS to play videos
- Support for Reddit comments in place of YT comments
- Import/Export subscriptions, watch history, preferences
- Does not use any of the official YouTube APIs
- Developer API
FreeTube is an open source desktop application that displays YouTube videos. It uses the Invidious API.
- Watch videos without ads
- Make API calls through the Tor network
- Subscribe to channels without an account
- Local subscriptions, history, and saved videos
- Export & import subscriptions
- Mini Player
NewPipe is an android app that provides a private front-end to Youtube.