The instant messengers apps listed below all use end-to-end encryption.
This means that your messages are encrypted before they leave your device. Hence your messages are secured against snoopers before they are transmitted.
- Session: all-in-one secure chat app — uses an onion routing network that stores undeliverable messages in blockchain until the recipient comes online
- Element (formerly Riot.IM) chat with self hosting and bridges to other instant messaging networks
- Tox: free secure message without advertising forever
- Wire: open source secure messaging (encryption for messenger, voice, video, conference calls, file-sharing, and external collaboration)
- Jami: Voice, video and chat communications, encrypted and decentralized
- Jitsi: secure, full featured video conferencing
- Briar: encrypted instant messenger that connects to contacts via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or Tor over the internet to synchronize messages
These services have end-to-end encryption but they require a phone number or other identifying information to work: