A seed phrase is a list of words that stores all the information needed to recover Bitcoin funds. It’s a key component of self-custodying your Bitcoin.
You want to store your seed phrase on something that will survive an event like a house fire or a natural disaster. Because of this, I’m basing my recommendation on the durability tests by Jameson Lopp for each device. The specific tests included:
- Heat Test: The devices were subjected to extreme heat at 2000 degrees Fahrenheit (1093 degrees Celsius), twice the temperature of a typical house fire35.
- Corrosion Test: Lopp tested the devices for corrosion resistance by exposing them to muriatic (hydrochloric) acid4.
- Crush Test: The devices were subjected to crushing forces to assess their structural integrity and resistance to physical damage6.
Listed below are the best seed storage devices I’ve found:
Cryo: Stainless Steel Plates
Black Seed Ink
Black Seed Ink is a straightforward backup method – you write your words on a metal plate. The words can be read easily, unlike the punched metal solution. This device is not as durable as the Cryo, though, see the – durability tests.
Here are a couple more expensive options:
- Bitplate Domino – durability tests – easy to set up and read – only available in Europe – €75 euro
- CryptoSteel Capsule – seed storage – home page – durability tests – $140
- Cryptotag Zeus – seed storage – home page – durability tests – $140
However, these solutions don’t seem to be any more durable than the other solutions listed above.