Text-only websites are quite useful, especially today, because web pages are increasingly filled with ads, videos, and bandwidth-heavy content.
Here is a list of text-only news sites:
- CNN Text Only — U.S. news from CNN
- New York Times Wire
- Christian Science Monitor Text Only — news from Christian Science Monitor
- NPR News Text Only — news from National Public Radio (US)
- PBS Lite — U.S. news from the Public Broadcasting Service
- CBC Low Bandwidth — low-bandwidth version of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
- Radio Canada Mini — low-bandwidth version of Radio Canada News in French
- Minimalist Today’s Guardian
- UK Daily Mail Text-Base
- Neuters – a text-only version of the Reuters home page
- Post Online — a text-only Post Online (UK) — focuses on “global events that impact the US and world economies”
- Readspike — More news headlines condensed
- Hckr News — a condensed version of Hacker News
- HackerWeb — a more accessible version of Hacker News
- Lobsters — computing topics — centered around link collection and discussion
- Cyber Report — cyber security news in text format
- Alterslash — the unofficial Slashdot digest
- 1MB Club — a collection of performance-focused web pages weighing less than 1 megabyte
Lightweight Interfaces To Popular Sites
- LibReddit — a lightweight Reddit hosted by Riverside Rocks
- LibReddit — a lightweight Reddit hosted by Strongthany
- LibReddit — a lightweight Reddit hosted by PussTheCat
- Teddit — a lightweight interface to Reddit that retains the Reddit-style design
- Invidious — a lightweight and minimalist interface for Youtube
- Nitter — a lightweight and minimalist interface for Twitter
- Scribe — a lightweight and minimalist interface for Medium
- SearXNG — a lightweight alternative to Google Search
- LegibleNews — news from Wikipedia in an easy-to-read format (Global)
- Wikipedia Current Events — current events from Wikipedia
- Mobile Wikipedia — mobile web version of Wikipedia
- News As Facts — concise world news
- Current Events — Wikipedia’s current events, delivered daily
General News Aggregators
Brutalist Report — A text-only compilation of news articles.
SkimFeed — this site also aggregates many news sources.
Wttr.In provides text-only weather reports. There’s also a text-only weather from the National Weather Service.
Use Reader Mode In Your Web Browser To Get Text-Only Pages
You can also use “Reader Mode” in many web browsers. This mode strips the page down to text and content-related images. You can read how to enable this mode in various browsers here.
Textise: Browse Sites In Text-Only Mode
You can also use the Textise service, which will create a text-only version of the web page.