The software listed below is free and generally available on all platforms:
Free Media Players
- FreeTube is a freeware YouTube player and subscription manager. This app plays all YouTube videos reliably – available for Linux, Mac, Windows. Also includes a basic video downloading feature.
- Foobar2000 is freeware audio player that support many audio formats and gap-less playback. It also has a built-in equalizer, crossfader and other audiophile features. Apps are available for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android.
- VLC is a free media player that is full featured and configurable. Apps are available for Linux, Mac, Windows, Apple TV, and mobile devices.
- MPV is a free media player – fast loading and lightweight – apps available for Linux, Mac, Windows, Android
- Plex is a free media manager and media streamer. Plex will stream your personal media to almost any device. Apps available Windows, Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, Apple TV, Roku and just about every other platform and device. The free version is missing mobile downloads and hardware transcoding – you’ll need the Pro version to get these features.
- Jellyfin is a free open-source media manager similar to Plex. It lacks Apple TV support except through a third-party player that crashes frequently. However Jellyfin is strong on mobile, when using the Infuse app. For $10 a year, this app allows reliable media download to your mobile device. Support MKV, MP4, AVI, ISO, DVD, and BDMV formats.