ProtonVPN is operated as a separate legal entity from ProtonMail. This is due to the fact VPNs are often banned in certain countries. For example, ProtonMail can continue operating in China, whereas ProtonVPN is blocked there.
I recommend this VPN service if you want a VPN focusing on privacy.
ProtonVPN passes VPN traffic through a “Secure Core network” in privacy-friendly countries like Switzerland and Iceland. A compromised VPN server will not reveal your true IP address.
ProtonVPN also supports Perfect Forward Secrecy. Even if your encryption key is discovered, your encrypted traffic cannot be captured and decrypted later.
- Website: ProtonVPN
- Business Location: Switzerland
- Server Location: 1700 servers in 60 countries
- Number of connections allowed: 10 simultaneous connections
- Cost: $96 USD per year or $8 USD per month
- Payment Types: Bitcoin, Credit Cards, Paypal, and Cash
- Trial Account: free accounts are available with “medium” speeds and limited servers
- Apps available for Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Linux