Private Internet Access is an open-source VPN service based in the USA.
The network is now capable of speeds up to 10 Gbps for users in the United States. PIA also offers gigabit gateways in Canada, the UK, Switzerland, and the Netherlands.
I’ve been testing their VPN service for about 2 years now, and I find the service quite reliable.
All plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can request from customer service a refund within 30 days of your original purchase.
In terms of pricing, the service costs $39.95 USD for one year or $79 USD for three years. Month-to-Month service is also available at $11.95 USD.
In regards to logging user activity, the PIA says:
We absolutely do not maintain any VPN logs of any kind. We utilize shared IP addresses rather than dynamic or static IPs, so it is not possible to match a user to an external IP. These are some of the many solutions we have implemented to enable the strongest levels of anonymity amongst VPN services. Further, we would like to encourage our users to use an anonymous e-mail and pay with Bitcoins to ensure even higher levels of anonymity should it be required. Our core verticals are privacy, quality of service, and prompt customer support. We will not share any information with third parties without a valid court order. With that said, it is impossible to match a user to any activity on our system since we utilize shared IPs and maintain absolutely no logs.
Their VPN service supports all the major platforms: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, iOS, and Android.
They support the following VPN protocols: Wireguard, PPTP, IPSEC, OpenVPN, and L2TP. You can also configure Private Internet Access to work on a DD-WRT router or Tomato router (via SSL/OpenVPN) for constant security.
Their VPN client also has handy features like DNS leakage blocking and an “internet kill switch” (a feature that shuts off your internet connection if your VPN connection goes down). For payment, they accept credit cards, Paypal, almost any Gift Card, Amazon Payments, CashU, Google Wallet, OKPay, Bitcoin, and Liberty Reserve.
VPN Video Streaming
PIA has announced that they now have full support for Netflix in US regions, as well as BBC in the UK. They will also be soon expanding to include France and Germany. Hulu and Amazon Prime support is also coming soon.
Private Internet Access – Service Summary
- Website: Private Internet Access
- Business Location: USA
- Server Locations: 84 countries
- Cost: $11.95 USD per month, $39.95 USD for one year, $79 USD for three years
- Number of connections allowed: 10 simultaneous connections
- Apps available for Linux, Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android
- Payment Types: Bitcoin, Paypal and Credit Cards, major brand gift cards, Ripple, CashU, iOS In-App purchase (through our iOS app only) and Paygarden
- Trial Account: No (only a 7-day money back guarantee instead)
- Platforms Supported: Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Chrome Extension, DD-WRT Router, Tomato Router, PfSense Router
- Terms of Service
Photo credit: Bruno Perrin